Monday, May 19, 2014

SOAKING

As summer quickly approaches, I've been noticing a few things around our yard.  For one, there is a small flower bed in the corner of our driveway that's often overlooked because it’s isolated from the rest of the garden.  IT's only when I'm already in my car driving away that I notice it and think, "Later, when I get a chance, I need to deal with that."  Well later never comes because there is ALWAYS something else to do.
As time passes I become bothered by the unsightly condition of that flower bed as it never seems to take care of itself…the nerve!  I even worry that others will notice it as they drive up (News Flash:  THEY DO...it's pretty obvious!)  As weeds keep growing, the wind brings debris that gladly settles itself among the cluttered, lonely soil. It’s as if the little space has forgotten altogether that it was once a lovely display of African Daisies.  So the other day, as my husband and I were cleaning up the side yard I decided to do something about about that little neglected gem.

The debris was picked up quickly and discarded, some of the weeds came up easily too (They were near a neighboring water-source so the grounds was soft and the weeds came up roots and all.)  However, most of the bed was dry and hard and the weeds were stubbornly rooted, refusing to give up there well solidified home.  I pulled a few but as you may well know, only the stems give way when you do that, leaving the root to continue on its merry way beneath the surface.  Now I could have stopped there and just quickly clipped the stems; Heaven knows my lazy-self wanted to!  The flower bed would have LOOKED good. Nobody would know the difference …at least for a while.  But I've learned better from my mistakes.  So out came the hose and on went the water…Not too much mind you, I did not want the hardened surface to refuse the offering and cause all kinds of run-off.  I needed the ground to SOAK.  The soil needed some time to take in the water at a pace it could absorb.  Later that day I easily removed the weeds because the ground was soft and malleable. 

Over the past several posts we've been talking about what it takes to change and become a different and freer person, reflecting the beautiful God-image held within each of us.  It struck me as I worked on that forgotten flower bed that my soul is not much different.  Beauty hides and becomes choked when I forget to tend the soil of my heart. Weeds and debris collect instead.  Often my actions become offensive, even unsightly!  And frankly, sometimes I don’t really care because I’m hardened by neglect and pass it on to others  Ouch!  I hate to say that, but it’s true…Just like the noticeable neglect in the corner of my driveway, the condition of my heart shows up in my actions.

 It's no use trying to manage our behavior when the "soil" from which it stems is neglected.  If I want to be different-If you want to be different, then we must put a stop to managing our behavior...it's no different than pulling weeds from hardened soil.  Only what's visible goes away, the root remains and will most definitely grow again....NOPE! ... Not a good plan.   

So first things first! We need a little soaking.  We need to let the hurried, busy rhythm of our life suspend for a bit and give time for God’s waters to pour forth.  I've often heard (and I've felt it myself) that, "Solitude is just too hard", or  “I just don’t have time.” Or "I don’t know what to do with myself, and is it really THAT productive?” ....Well....Yes! Jesus often withdrew to "lonely places" for prayer and the result was rather remarkable.  I could go on with other examples but come on!   If the Son of God modeled it?....Need we go any further? 

"Every distraction of the body, mind and spirit must be put into a kind of suspended animation before this deep work of God upon the soul can occur." - Richard Foster

Just like soaking the soil of that flower bed, God will bring his deep work and renewal as we "soak" in Him. And it will come at a pace we can absorb, so don't fret the process.  Leave the fretting to your aunt Mae! The main thing is to stop and pause, and become present with God in the moment that you do have.  Sometimes it IS hard, but so are the soils of a neglected soul.  Just like real weeds, spiritual “weeds” don’t leave on their own.  In fact, some require extra soaking time.  Taking the occasional glance and saying, “Someday I need to deal with that.”  Will never get the job done.  Unless we spend some time alone with God, quieting our withering, hardened self to let God’s life-waters trickle in, we. won’t. change.  It’s that simple.  But take heart! God reminds us that as we find space for him, “There I will meet with you, and I will speak to you.” (Exodus 29) When we look for Him, He shows up!  And when He does, Love finds its way into the soil of our heart and we become changed. 

“I will take your heart of stone 
and give you a heart of flesh.”
Exekiel 36:26  

No comments:

Post a Comment