Monday, December 2, 2013

Drums and Perfume...HOPE!


“She did what she could…” Mark 14:8



“She did what she could…”

I don’t know about you but when I hear those words they don’t have a positive ring to them.  They often sound defeated, resigned and hopeless.  Like “well, I tried but it just couldn’t happen – I did all I could but it wasn’t enough.”  Or when a doctor comes in to give disappointing news to the family members of a patient, “I’m sorry, we did all that we could….”  That phrase over time has taken on meaning but not a good one.
However, I’ve recently been struck by the way Jesus uses this phrase in Mark 14:8.  Because it takes on a different meaning than what I've been used to.  A woman consumed with the HOPE that Jesus was the promised Messiah, did what she could to bring herself sacrificially and open-handed to Jesus.  She didn’t have much to offer in the eyes of everyone around her (In fact, some thought her offering of perfume was pretty wasteful and stupid.) but to Jesus, her offering was profound. (but that's for a later blog J)

In the song, The Little Drummer Boy (Albeit a song, it holds a great message), the young boy gave in a similar manner as the woman did.  There he was, a little boy, amidst Kings and “kingly offerings”, with nothing of any worldly value to give.  Hope allowed for creative, on the spot, thinking!

“Little baby.  I am a poor boy too, I have no gift to bring.  That’s fit to give the King.  Shall I play for you?  Mary nodded,…I played my drum for him.  I played my best for him. Then he smiled at me – me and my drum.”

What beautiful expressions of expectation mingled with poured out offering!  I wonder if we  complicate things by seeking to make our life of worship to God pristine and impressive? Then, when it can't be, we think we have nothing of value to offer and begin to wonder if He can make anything good out of what we DO have.  It's easy to forget that what He’s really looking for is a life that's drawing near to him, one that's ready to step onto the hay, into the messy, smelly barn and kneel, bringing what we can and laying it at his feet.  He smiles when we do that - whether it's pristine or tattered.  God is overjoyed as we draw near; and the offering we bring with anticipation and love, is His delight. 
This week during Advent as we celebrate HOPE, let’s set aside the voices that cause us to dismiss the offering we bring to Christ.  Let’s pause instead to hear the distance drums of a poor boy in Bethlehem, and take in the aroma of poured out love like the woman in Bethany. Both did what they could and it was …positively …enough!

What "song" or "fragrance" is God inviting you to bring before Him this season?

And...since I am a musician, I can't help but add the link of The Little Drummer Boy sung by the Pentatonix.  Enjoy! http://youtu.be/qJ_MGWio-vc 




 

2 comments:

  1. This has been a favorite verse of mine for all the reasons you give. Thank you for this post during this first week of Advent. What a beautiful reminder to give what we can in full surrender with open hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Debbi...we are kindred souls :) btw I loved your blog today but I had trouble getting the security letters right so it would not post...haha! Perhaps I shall try again tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete