Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Wrapped in God...Clothed in Christ"



“…Clothe yourselves in the Lord Jesus Christ…”  Romans 13:14


“There are plenty of people who follow our Lord half-way, but not the other half. They will give up possessions, friends, and honors but it touches them far too deeply to disown themselves.”...I both love and dread these words by Meister Eckhart. They bring the challenge of a "Gethsemane-walk" - one that reflects the honest journey of Gal 2, Col. 3, and Eph. 4..."For you died and your life is now hidden with Christ in God....put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness".  I love it because this challenge is also a holy vision of beautiful Kingdom-life.  I dread it because, the journey there is so counter-intuitive!

What does that mean?  Frank Lambauch says that he believes his job is to live his life “Wrapped in God, trembling with His thought, burning with His passion”…and claims that this is the best gift someone can give.  When I am “wrapped in God” I am clothed with his compassion and goodness, mercy and love.  Do I wear Christ?  The question causes me to pause and take inventory of the manner in which I live. 

When others meet me - spend time with me, begin to know me - Do they see Jesus?  If they do, it seems those are the less hurried moments and God’s voice is easier to hear. My personal agendas, then, can be set aside, which makes his voice easier to follow.  That’s when Jesus shows up in me.   But what about the times when I’m hurried, which is often!....Like when I'm trying to get out the door for work, or desperately want something to happen a certain way, or when I feel vulnerable and I’m compelled to protect myself somehow.  Do people see Jesus in me then? 

It seems like those are the times I’ve forgotten "my life is now hidden with Christ in God.”…sometimes it touches me “far too deeply to disown myself.”  Instead of a reflection of Christ, others see a reflection of the tepid waters (not 'living water') that still reside within me.  I may get edgy and critical, even punishing when things do not go “right”.  Sometimes His garments just don't fit because there is some shaping in me that must be done first.
I don't know about you, but I want to wake-up to new mornings and, before putting my feet to the floor, hide myself in Christ.  I want to go to the closet of his riches and put on his clothes, knowing that they are not simply what I wear, they are also the manner in which He covers me. They are my "grace-garments".  They are found in the closet of stillness, where we surrounded by his love,  it changes who we are and becomes the energy behind what we do!

He's calling...do you hear it?  Shhh, listen, slow down and come closer.  He is saying, "Come and Gethsemane with me and you will find your life.  Your old clothes no longer fit. Wrap yourself up in me, ...I won’t lay anything ill-fitting or too heavy on you…(Matt 11:28-30).  This, THIS is the best gift we can ever give or receive....The gIft of Jesus, coming close and wrapping us in His love.
What are you wearing today?
In what way is God inviting you to his wear his garments?

No comments:

Post a Comment