Sunday, March 30, 2014

Grace: An Endless Resource



So...In the previous post we brought up the idea of life caught up in the spiritual slums versus life outside of it. BUT how does life with God, outside of the slums happen?  How do we begin to take steps to move from a sin-bound life to a God-pervaded, free life?...I suppose it has something to do with grace.

Grace brings us to God in the first place...Grace means "While we were still in a state of wandering, Christ laid down his life to bring us back into friendship with Him" (Rom 5:8).  And it is his kindness that woos us to turn his direction and follow (Rom 2:4).  Grace is what strengthens us to live as his disciple (Heb. 13:9) Grace is afforded to us endlessly and never runs out (Lam 3:22-23)!  Who wouldn't want to live like that?


I wonder if part of the problem is perspective.  Maybe it has something to do with understanding grace from a viewpoint of scarcity instead of abundance.  Isn't that why so many returned to the slum? Do I treat God's grace as if there is a limited supply? Do I just assume that I cashed in a "One-time use only" coupon when I believed in Him for the first time and lack the vision of anything more? Or do I run to the well of grace knowing the waters never run dry?  Abundance means "limitless supply".  Does this mean we keep sinning (wandering) so grace may abound?  Of course not and the apostle Paul agrees. (Rom 6:1).  Grace says, "I know you are messed up, but I love you and have not desire to leave you this way!"   According to scripture (Eph. 3:20-21) God, through grace, has offered Heaven’s endless resources to us, and if we want to follow the models and teachings of Jesus we will seek his help!  We will burn grace-fuel like a 747 burns jet-fuel!...and God is never the more glad!

I guess sometimes I forget that grace isn't limited to  yesterday's forgiveness.  It is also for today as I live in responsive obedience, allowing God's energy to work in me for the good. That grace never runs out. 

God's spirit empowers us to companion with Him and live like Him (John 14).   When we are at a point of saying, "God the only way I can do this is if you do it through me", That's grace!  And we discover that his ways are actually NOT burdensome (1 John 5:3)! By grace, God’s ongoing presence comes to us, all the time, awake or asleep, in pain and suffering and in seasons of joy and celebration...and in losing our life for His, in His grace God pulls us out of our poverty-stricken ways and says, I am sufficient and I know the plans I have for you and they are not for evil. They are to give you a future and a hope.” Jer 29:11



More on this next time....






No comments:

Post a Comment