Friday, September 13, 2013

"Sweethearts"

"My dove in the clefts of the rock, in the hiding places on the mountainside, show me your face, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet and your face is lovely."– Song of songs 2:14

                So the other day I was at the hair salon getting my hair done when a  woman came in with her husband.  Looking a bit disheveled, it did not take long to realize that she had Alzheimer’s and had also lost her eyesight.  Because of that, she and her husband no longer live together as she now needs convalescent care.  She spends her days in a wheelchair and he spends his days by her side. 

            Once a week he brings her to the hair salon so that he can “pamper his beautiful sweetheart.”  I watched him gently and cheerfully pick her up from the wheelchair.  As he lifted her to her feet, helping her make the transition to the styling chair,  I couldn't help but notice the exchange of delight between them.  He quipped that she was having a good day singing “zip-a-dee doo dah” on the ride over.  He let her know there were others in the room and asked her to sing the song for them (us).  So she did.  It was the sweetest, off-tune little melody I have ever heard.  She would forget a word or two but he would be right there to help her remember.  When she finished, the room clapped and she chuckled…as it quieted, her husband said, “That's my sweetheart isn't she wonderful!”  We agreed.  There was something about his delight over her that made her more beautiful.   A while later she piped up, but forgetting  she was married or that her husband was there, she said, “I used to have a sweetheart.”  Her husband, un-wavered by the comment, leaned in close, “You still do honey, and you’re still my sweetheart” he kindly spoke.  Then he gave her a little smooch on the forehead.  As they were leaving his stance was proud, joyful and tall, "Always and forever! I am hers and she is mine and its been that way for 62 years." he said as they left.  We shared his joy with a collective grin.

            I marveled at this divine display of love set before us – the women who are sitting at the mirrors,  hoping to cover up the gray, smooth out the wrinkles and resist the "imperfection" of life's journey.  That’s when God spoke.  By society’s standards, this woman, once young and “beautiful” has nothing left to give her husband except herself, just as she is.  Her strength is failing, her eyesight is long gone and her mind is rarely lucid enough to sense his presence or recall his love.  But he loves her; in fact he cherishes her.  He delights in her beauty and relishes her song and that's all that matters.

God loves us in the same way.  He cherishes us. He steadies our step and He whispers the words of His heart-song into our ears.  Truth be told,  I am that woman.  I have nothing to offer God but me, just as I am -disheveled, unsteady, confused and blind.  But God sits close.  He leans in to remind me that we are still "sweethearts" -– Always and forever.  He delights in His created beauty and relishes in her song because she is and always will be.... His.   


Below is a link to a video about God’s deep love for you and me…It's POWERFUL!...enjoy J



2 comments: