Sunday, September 8, 2013

God-Breathed


“All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
 1 Tim 3:16-17

 “The reason we read scripture is not so that we master IT but that in reading it, we encounter the God of scripture and He masters us.  If we seek to master scripture, we will end up like the Pharisee, if we allow the God of scripture to master us we will become more and more like Christ.”  

My husband, has stated this more than once from the pulpit on a Sunday morning.  I often notice the collective agreement of the congregation through their nods.  I am one of those who nods and resonates with the truth of that statement. Yet today I sit challenged by its reality. 
To have the God of scripture master us through His word is a remarkable and disruptive journey!    What happens when I have to respond like Christ in the face of sharp criticism?  Will I choose to be like Christ and stand quietly when it’s appropriate, or will i get defensive and criticize back?    What happens when I encounter a scripture that says love even my enemies?  Will I do it or will put a "polite" smile on my face while harboring revenge or judgment?  What happens when I need to put my “hand to the plow” and not look back as God calls me forward into deeper obedience and life in Him?  Will I hang on to the past and ruminate on unrealized dreams?  Will I stay stuck in relationships that continue to hold me back from full abandon to Him?  or will I take the steps needed to plow forward? These are the disruptions that come up when the God of scripture seeks to master me.  These are cross-road moments and I will choose the easy road unless I am seeking the God of scripture and desiring to yield to His work in me.
I suppose in most cases it’s not hard to agree with scripture-that's the easy road, but unless I take what it says and act on it.  Unless I actually incorporate it into my life, what scripture says will be no more than a set of good ideas that I may or may not choose to follow. 

Indeed, scripture is more than good ideas and the God of scripture is fully present and accessible as we read the pages of His story.  When we seek to encounter Him as we read, He shows up.  He speaks to appropriate places in us that need His work and he calls us to more fully yield to Him.  While yielding can be very difficult and often involves grieving and letting go, it also produces a harvest of righteousness that yields its fruit in due season and it brings a levity to life that reflects God's love and grace to those we encounter.  That my friends, is “Gospelly-good!”

So…how’s the scripture reading going for you?  
Where do you find yourself challenged to be more like Christ?

James 1:23
Psalm 139:23-24

Lord, once again search me and “read me” as I read your word and encounter you.

No comments:

Post a Comment