Sunday, November 17, 2013

"Soul Chemistry"

A continuation from previous blog posts  beginning with "Burned Out"

“No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." - Hebrews 12:11
As mentioned previously, one of the effects of oak on wine is flavor, but there’s more!  Wine goes through subtle chemical changes as it rests in the barrel, resulting in greater complexity and a softening of the harsh tannins....Do you see where I'm going with this ? :)...   Seasons of “wait” that God introduces can feel similar. 
"Soul-barreling" allows God to bring about subtle soul changes.  It helps us see ways in which our responses to God's love have been hindered by patterns of sin.  For instance, when outside voices are silenced and we are left with just ourselves and God we notice things.  For me, part of it was my harsh edges and critical sprit, that often dried up conversations and stole joy.  The sharp way in which I would say things often hurt those I was in conversation with.  A critical outlook, that demanded perfection, often robbed me (and others) of shared joy while we were together.  It was hard at first to look at these truths, I felt embarrassed and ashamed, but if I wanted to be different I had to take a good long look at reality and trust that in the process God would lovingly and faithfully change my “soul chemistry". Many personal journal entries during this time began with, “Oh God, do I really do that?” Usually His answer was, "Yes....but you are loved deeply and you CAN change with my help."

 In the Old Testament  Tabernacle worship, after the altar of sacrifice, the priest went to the bronze basin to wash.  God’s instructions were plain when constructing the basin - it was to be bronze.  Bronze is a very reflective surface.  Sacrificing an animal would be messy.  I suppose as the priest leaned over the basin to wash, his reflection would be quite clear.  He would see the literal effect of sin and he would also see it being washed clean.  What a picture of truth and grace! 

Staying in this soul space allows us to accept what is blood-soakingly real about ourselves.  Our sin has impact, and what is not transformed will be transmitted.  My family jokingly quips around the house, “Hey!  That sin looks much better on me than it does you!” The last thing I want is to clothe my children with my sin.  The silly little quip helps us acknowledge the effects of our brokenness, and it allows us to “wash” a bit over God’s basin of honesty and grace. .  Hebrews 12:4-17 speaks of the partnering work God does with us to bring about transformation.  It isn't easy but it's worth it! When we pay attention to our disoriented heart and redirect it towards God's, "new wine" forms in us;  wine that comes from the vine of Christ where harsh soul-tannins are smoothed and bitter soul-chemistry changes into robust flavor...and it happens as we immerse ourselves in his truth, love and grace.

Is God drawing your attention to broken personal habits or patterns of sin?

How do those patterns impact those around you?

How do they hinder your experience of His love and your ability to express it?



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment